Wednesday, December 9, 2009

11 years ago

I hate to do this, but I must momentarily interrupt the holiday treat postings.

It's for a very good reason, though, I promise.

I'm not sure how it happened. I've done the math several times, but I keep coming up with the same answer. 11 years. It's been 11 years since I got to start my mom journey with this guy.


My, how he's changed.
He used to be much smaller than this.
But when I look at this picture, I can still see the little baby face that stared back at me that first day. I see the same toddler eyes that would light up when I walked in the room. There is the same preschool smile that he used to flash me as he worked diligently building blocks.
These days I see broader shoulders, a more angular jaw, hands that are no longer pudgy or small. I see the top of his head nearing my nose and the stature of a young man.
And he is just that, a young man. A good young man. He is kind, thoughtful, and well mannered. He is funny and smart. He loves playing his guitar and has become quite talented. He is honest and standing strong in his faith. He is my firstborn son and oh, how I love him.
Before long, I will be looking up at him. I will be seeing the beard on his face; a face that will light up for girls other than me. I will be watching him start out on journeys that will lead him away from his father and me.
But I will be thankful. Thankful for the gift that he is and always will be to me. Thankful for the treasured time that we have been given. Thankful for the adventures we've had together homeschooling and learning with each other.
Happy 11th birthday Jimmy. I am so incredibly blessed every day to get to be your mom. I love you.




No comments: