Monday, February 8, 2010

Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes




Alright, I have a confession. 

I used to buy mashed potatoes by the box.  When I was a kid, I actually preferred the flaky boxed potatoes over homemade mashed potatoes.

I must have given my mother a serious complex.  The twitches....they're all making sense now....

Even when I was newly married I relied on that old staple brown box.  Then one day I actually attempted to make mashed potatoes.

It wasn't rocket science.  It wasn't even that difficult.

And the heavens opened and the angels sang.  And I never bought the brown box again.  Sorry brown box.

This is a variation of my basic mashed potato recipe.  I'm never one to turn down garlic or cheese and God made them to be wonderful complements to each other--so why not!

Here's what you need to pull out:


Yukon gold potatoes, butter, cheese, sour cream, garlic, and milk

I think yukon golds make the best mashed potatoes.  They have a natural creaminess to them.  Scrub them really well and then cut them into big pieces.


No, I don't peel them.  For one, as I've mentioned before, I'm a lazy cook.  If I don't have to peel, I'm not going to.  Besides, it's more rustic if you just leave the peels on.  Plus, there's all of those good vitamins!  And it's easier.  Much easier.

I usually cut my potatoes in half, cut each half lengthwise and then cut them crosswise twice.  Then I end up with a nice pile of potatoes like this:


Put the potatoes in a pot and cover with about an inch or two of water. 


Bring this to a boil, but DON'T WALK AWAY!  You will regret it and I will be sad for you.


The potatoes tend to boil over, so once it reaches a full boil, reduce heat to medium high and allow to slowly boil until you can take a fork and run a piece of potato through like this:


Sorry, about the running through reference.  I've watched a few too many action movies lately.  Strain your potatoes in a colander.


Meanwhile place the butter and garlic into the still-hot pan and melt butter to simmer garlic for 1 to 2 minutes. 


Add the potatoes back to the pan with the cheese and sour cream.


Now, I used to whip my potatoes with my hand mixer at this point, but I've found I really like them better when I mash them by hand.  It's not terribly difficult and I actually like the little lumps that are left behind.  Rustic.  That's the theme here.


After you've given them a few good mashes, add in the milk.  You could add cream instead of milk, but my waistline was screaming at me to behave.  Besides, I'm holding out for dessert.


Continue mashing until it reaches the consistency that makes you and your family warm and melty on the inside.


Voila!  Perfection!


Serve these alongside the all time favorite pot roast and let the comfortfest begin.

Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes

6 average sized yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. garlic
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk

Cut potatoes into small chunks.  Place in a pot and cover with an inch or two of water.  Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-high and cook until potatoes are tender.  Drain potatoes in colander.  In hot pot melt butter and add garlic.  Saute garlic for 1-2 minutes.  Return potatoes to pan and add cheese and sour cream.  Mash several times with masher, then add milk.  Continue mashing until your potatoes reach your desired consistency.  Enjoy!

No comments: