Sunday, April 11, 2010

Remembering My Mom Through Her Recipes


Once again I find myself apologizing for such a lack of posting.  A few weeks ago, I suddenly lost my Mom.  It's been a bit of a whirlwind since then, and my heart is still aching at the thought of not being able to be with her anymore.  She was an amazing person, a wonderful mom, and a great friend.  Her life wasn't always easy; but she was fiercely independent and determined like nobody else I've known.  She leaves a huge hole in my life; but I know that she is peaceful at home with her Lord.

As always, though, I find myself back in my kitchen---the one place where I can immerse myself in a project and release the cares and worries that bother me elsewhere.  In cleaning out her house, I found her favorite cookbook; it's old and beat up with lots of handwritten recipes, newspaper clippings, and recipes given to her over the years through friends and family.  It's a treasured part of her that I'm so thankful to have.  So for the time being, I've decided to "cook with my Mom" by recreating some of the recipes in her cookbook and sharing them with you here.  Some are old favorites I remember; some are tasty treats that she made even before my time.  My hope is that while I find comfort in cooking her recipes, you all will find new inspiration for some of your own cooking. 

I'll be starting tomorrow with a recipe that, ironically enough, I had asked about getting from her just a week before she passed away.  It's her signature banana cake with a sticky icing and I'm sure it's going to become a family favorite around here with my little monkeys.  I hope your families will enjoy it too.

No comments: