Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Cinnamon Apple Cider Jelly


 
We love jams and jellies at our house and because we are surrounded by great berries where we live and great tree fruits across the mountains, we have ample opportunity to make LOTS of homemade jam.  Seriously, I think I'm up to 60+ jars now.  My minions love peanut butter and jelly sandwiches (still!) and we tend to give a lot away as gifts, so it's not as totally obscene as it sounds.  However, a twelve step program for jam making could be in my future.
 
This jelly is one of our new favorites.  My boys and husband are huge fans of the taste, and I love how easy it is to make.  I used store bought apple cider for this one (which means you could make this year round whenever it strikes your fancy!) but I'm looking forward to making more with apple cider pressed at a friend's farm.  Yum-my!
 
I found the recipe HERE at this really cute blog I stumbled upon.  The only thing I changed was that I upped the amount of cinnamon.  I really like cinnamon and didn't think a 1/2 teaspoon was going to do it for me.  I'm glad I did, as I really like the cinnamon flavor alongside the sweet apple cider.  It comes together super quickly and processes in a water bath canner.  Give it a try; we've found it's yummy on everything from sandwiches, to pancakes, or with bagels and cream cheese.  Next time, I'm even thinking of adding some hot peppers in place of the cinnamon to make it more savory.  
 
Cinnamon Apple Cider Jelly
 
5 cups apple cider
1 package powdered pectin
1 tsp. butter
1 tsp. cinnamon
7 cups sugar

First, sterilize jars in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes. Place lids and rings in a pan of hot water just under a simmer until ready to use.  Don't bring them to a boil or it could damage the seal.

Next, pour the apple cider into a large pot and slowly stir in the pectin. Add the butter, and bring the mixture to a rapid boil that cannot be stirred down.

Add the cinnamon and sugar and stir to combine. Bring to a full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Turn off the heat and skim the foam, if any.

Fill the jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Place the lids and screw on the rings, then process for 10 minutes in a water bath canner.  This recipe should make about 6 jars of jam give or take.  Enjoy!!


 

5 comments:

Erika said...

Have you ever tried doubling the recipe? Does it work or fail?

Unknown said...

In your comments it says 1/2tsp of cinnamon but in recipe it says 1 tsp of cinnamon. Can you please tell me which one.to use? Thank you.

Renee said...

It’s never a good idea to double a jelly or jam recipe. There are frequently problems with the pectin setting appropriately if you double or triple. (So much so that the Sure Jel, and similar, inserts in the pectin boxes specifically say not to double.) I learned this the hard way. Haha.

Anonymous said...

The comment says it wasn’t enough for family, so she raised the amount in her recipe.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried to incorporate crushed pineapple in this recipe? My dad used to make apple cider pineapple jelly that was delicious. I only vaguely remember what he told me about how he did it. I am thinking of draining pineapple and perhaps ad to Apple cider to not exceed the amount in the recipe, and add pineapple with the sugar…