Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Best Steak. Ever. Really. You have to make this.

I love the Food Network. I especially love Guy Fieri and Alton Brown. So when my friend Rebecca invited me over for a dinner she was making from one of Guy's recipes (Gaucho steak with four-herb chimichurri), I knew it would be fantastic.

Delectable.

Mouth watering.

I may have to make some tomorrow.

Seriously, it's that good.

I made it for dinner again last night and it smelled and looked so good, that I forgot to take pictures to share. Next time, I promise.

First you need to whirl the following in a blender or food processor:
1 chopped garlic clove (But you can use more. Garlic doesn't like to be single...it's friendly)
1/4 cup cilantro leaves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons tequila (I'm convinced this is the magic portion of the recipe!)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Toss the marinade into a ziplock (I found a quart sized bag worked perfectly) and add 1 1/2 pounds of skirt steak. Slosh it around, seal and let the marinade work it's magic for several hours. (Between 1 and 24---I kept mine in for about 6 hours.) When it's time to cook, grill over high heat for about 4 minutes per side for medium rare. (Mine had to cook longer, but only because I discovered after I got home that I bought flank steak instead of skirt steak. It was still delightful.)

While the steak is still soaking in that wonderful tequila blend, make your chimichurri. I'm not a language expert, but I believe chimichurri must have been a sauce of the gods at some point. Anyway, here's the lowdown on the sauce.

Back in the food processor or blender pulse:
4 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/2 cup parsley leaves
6 large basil leaves
1 tablespoon oregano leaves
2 tablespoons white onion
2 tablespoons red bell pepper
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

Pour in 2 tablespoons olive oil and 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and whirl to combine. Use to top Gaucho steak.

Served with roasted yukon golds, fresh green beans and a green salad, my family thought they had died and gone to culinary heaven.

So go now. Make this for your family tomorrow and they'll believe you are a gourmet wonder woman. Go on!

No comments: