Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Blueberry muffins....on steroids

So I have a little bit of guilt that the last recipe I posted on here was so deliciously evil. I harbor guilt. I'm just like that.

I decided I should show my repentance by posting a recipe that, while uber-tasty, has some nutritionally redeeming quality. These muffins fit the bill nicely.

These are not your momma's muffins. They are filled with whole wheat flour, oat bran, oats, wheat germ, banana, blueberries, pecans and buttermilk. Best of all, they don't taste like cardboard. Promise.

I made these exactly as written in this recipe, except I switched out pecans for the walnuts. I just don't care for walnuts.

My kids liked these better than regular blueberry muffins--better than bakery blueberry muffins even. That's a winner for sure!

Health Nut Blueberry Muffins (Original recipe found at -- www.allrecipes.com)

3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup white sugar
1/4 cup oat bran
1/4 cup quick cooking oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup blueberries
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 banana, mashed
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 and grease a 12 cup muffin pan.

In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, oat bran, oats, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently stir in the blueberries and pecans. In a separate bowl, mix together the mashed banana, buttermilk, egg, oil and vanilla. Pour wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until blended. Spoon into muffin cups. Bake for 15-18 minutes until the tops of the muffins spring back when lightly touched.

Enjoy! :)

No comments: