Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Desks? We don't need no stinkin' desks.

I'll admit, when I first began thinking of homeschooling, I had this notion in my head of our family surrounding the dining room table discussing topics of deep importance.


Yeah. That idea ran screaming from my brain within a matter of days. Okay. Hours.

I know that some people like to dedicate a room specifically for their homeschool. I tried, I really did. In fact, my office is more of a homeschool resource area than anything else. Well, with a bed because I don't have a huge house and houseguests really seem to enjoy having a place to sleep. Go figure.

But I can't for the life of me seem to contain our learning space to just one room. We end up sprawling all over the house and books can spill out from the most unlikely places.

Today was a great example. My oldest likes comfort. You're likely to find him doing his schoolwork on his bed as on the couch or even in the bed in the aforementioned resource room. You're also likely to find a lazy bulldog snuggled up next to him as he does his school work.




See, doesn't he look comfy? (That would be his grammar work, by the way.)

My youngest has always been more creative in his places to work. He enjoys making blanket forts or holing up underneath the desk in his room. Today I found him in one of my favorite spots of his making...



Is it a fort? An elaborate child trap? That's for you to decide. All I know, is that once in place, he merrily finished all of his bookwork with nary a whine or complaint. And really, at the end of the day, that's all that really matters, isn't it?

So I guess it goes to show that those desks that we bought them for school really are no more than glorified junk holders. Ah, well. At least they're working. :)

No comments: