Monday, December 21, 2009

Oreo Truffles



Alright.  I finally got to the aforementioned "three ingredient" treat.  (Thanks Kellie for getting me motivated!)  These are incredibly easy, yummy, no-bake goodies that taste sooo much better than the actual ingredient combination sounds.

Here's your culprits:



One bag of Oreos (I prefer mint around the holidays...avoid the double stuff.  Never thought I'd say this, but too much filling!), one brick of cream cheese (softened), and chocolate chips.  I generally use about 2 to 2 1/2 cups of chips.




First, take about 5 or 6 cookies out of the bag and save them for later.  Put the rest in a food processor, blender, or ziplock and crush them into crumbs.




Add your cream cheese to the party.




Mix cookies and cream cheese until well combined.




Scoop out small balls using a cookie scoop and place on a waxed paper covered cookie sheet.  (You might notice this is NOT one of my favorite cookie sheets; the only reason this old guy has survived is because he fits just right in my freezer.) 

Place the sheet in the freezer for about 20 minutes; or if you live in my house until you've emptied the dishwasher, reloaded it, and cleaned your counters.  Hey, I'm nothin' if not practical.




When your kitchen is sparkling again, take out the balls.  Quickly roll them into nice, round balls handling them as little as possible.  The colder they stay, the easier the coating will be.




Melt your chocolate chips (I often do only a cup at a time so it stays warm) and coat your truffles.  I like to use the two-fork method to coat and remove drips.  Place on another sheet of waxed paper.




You can stop right there or you can get a little fancy.  As soon as you coat your truffles, you can add a sprinkle...




Or how about a little crushed candy cane?




Or you can wait until the chocolate has set and melt some green candy disks (look for them at most craft stores or cake decorating supply stores), pour into a ziplock, snip the end, and make fancy-schmancy little squiggles on top.

Oh, remember those 5 or 6 oreos you set aside at the beginning?  You can crumble those and sprinkle some of the crumbs on the top of the truffle too.  Wouldn't that be beautiful?  Fun?  Spectacular?

I'd love to show you a picture of that, I really would.

But I ate my set aside oreos.  It's been a crazy week.  I'm really sorry.




Anyway, see the nice crunchy outer coating and the soft, gooey inside?  It's really heavenly.  I think they taste best if you make them the day before you plan to serve or eat them.  Just store them in an airtight container in the fridge so they don't absorb any of the refrigerator funk that lingers from time to time. 

Also, I hear that you can substitute ANY kind of sandwich cookie for this recipe.  Think nutter butters, peanut butter oreos, that kind of thing.  I haven't tried them yet, but they sound phenomenal and I think I'll have to give them a test run sometime.

In the meantime, enjoy these little guys.

No comments: