Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chocolate Almond Monster Cookies


I'm baaaackkk!  It's been a crazy, fun, adventure filled year; but I miss being able to share great recipes that I've come across.  So, I'm back....and hopefully for good. I've been wanting to return to blogland for some time now, but I have to admit that the thought holding me back was finding time to cook and take all of those pictures.  I've decided to streamline a bit and go back to one or two pictures per recipe.  I'm hoping it will take my self-imposed pressure off and give me more opportunity to share all the recipes I've been wanting to blog.

Because we're in full holiday swing, I thought I'd start back with some of my old and new favorite cookie recipes.  Monster cookies have always been a favorite in our house.  Our cookies are a tad off standard though; we don't add M&M's!  I know that sounds almost sacrilegious and I have to agree.  It seems my dear husband doesn't like M&M's in his cookies.  He did keep this to himself until after I said "I do" though, and it's probably a good thing.  The no M&M clause could have been a deal breaker. 

Instead, we add extra nuts and chocolate chips to ours.  I'd like to add in dried cherries or apricots as well.  I think it would add a nice tartness to counter the sweet.  You could also add chopped pretzels, coconut, or butterscotch chips.  Really, if you think about it, monster cookies are kind of like stir fry:  You can toss in whatever tidbits of goodness you have left and come out with something really tasty.  So go crazy and find your family's favorite combo.  Enjoy!!

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon corn syrup
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 1/2 cup peanut butter
4 1/2 cups oats
1/2 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
3/4 cup sliced almonds

Preheat oven to 350.  In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, and corn syrup.  Add melted butter and peanut butter and mix well to combine.  Stir in oats, flour, baking soda, and salt.  Finally add in chocolate chips and sliced almonds and stir well.  Give your dough about 15 minutes to rest.  For each cookie use about 1/4 cup dough and flatten a bit with your fingers on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.  Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden brown. 

2 comments:

Ann Summerville said...

They look delicious.
Ann

Robyn said...

I have MiSsEd you!! So glad you are back. I can't wait to drool over all the yumminess;)