Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Literature Heathen

Yep, a heathen. I absolutely love reading. It has always been one of my favorite activities. No matter where you are, you can pick up a book and dive into exotic worlds and live through other people. Well, until your husband tells you that you're starting to develop a Twilight obsession. Then you have to put the books down. For a while. But we probably shouldn't go there.

The problem is that there seems to be quite a distinction between "literature" and reading. Some of my favorite books are great stories; but they don't exactly fall under the fine literature category. I (obviously) enjoyed Twilight a bit more than maybe a girl of my years should have--but hey, it was a good story. The same goes for my favorite sappy Nicholas Sparks love stories and food driven Diane Mott Davidson mysteries. I DO read classics; I just finished Pride and Prejudice with the lovely ladies in my book club. I did enjoy it, but I admit, the Pride and Prejudice Zombie version sounds even more entertaining than the original!

Maybe I should just call my self a literature anti-snob? I'm not sure. Until I figure it out, here's a few good non-classical books that you should check out when you get the chance. (Unless you really want to read the zombie Pride & Prejudice book first. I won't hold that against you.)
  • The Doomsday Key by James Rollins
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
  • The Choice by Nicholas Sparks
  • The Shop on Blossom Street by Debbie Macomber
  • Catering to Nobody by Diane Mott Davidson

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fun, Missy. Glad I found your blog and who'da thought anyone else knows Diane Mott Anderson, I'm on Cereal Murders the third one right now. But....what you don't know is...the fictional Aspen Meadow is really Evergreen, CO where I grew up and also lived nearby just before we moved here.
Betty Jane